Tuesday, May 3, 2011

When I am Weak, Then He is Strong

Last July, I went on a mission trip to the Dominican Republic.  I've mentioned a little about it before, but now I'd like to share a bit more about what God did in my life.  Why now, ~10 months after it happened?  Well, I have to admit (rather ashamedly) that I meant to do so sooner, but never did...  However, my family is now preparing to go back to conduct another English Camp this July, and I wanted to revisit some of the things God did in my life.

During English Camp, we were teaching English.  At first we thought we would be the helpers, and that they would have Dominican teachers, but when we got there, we found out that we were it.  Talk about out of my comfort zone!  I had never taught English before, and I found out that I was supposed to be in charge of one of the classes!  I told God, "There is no way I can do this," and He agreed with me.  He agreed with me and told me, "You're right.  There's no way you can."  But with that revelation he also revealed that with Him all things are possible.  I was to find out that week just how much I couldn't, but how much He could.

Things seemed to be going well - the first meal.  Then came our first night.  I expected all of the 12-15 year olds to get in their beds and stay there.  They might talk some (that's normal for girls), but I knew they had to go to sleep eventually.  Well, I was wrong.  That first night after everyone was in bed and I was starting to drop off to sleep, the girls started getting up, moving, and messing around with stuff, and our Dominican helpers were doing nothing about it! (after all, our helpers could speak Spanish, and my Spanish was very limited, so of course they should take care of the situation, right?)  I eventually ended getting up out of bed and confronting the girls in English (after they had already caused some trouble), telling them to go to bed, and to stay in their beds.  To deter further trouble-making, I sat up in bed 'til the wee hours of the morning when the girls finally quit moving around and making "awake" noises (during that time a couple of them did look to see if any of the leaders were still up, and I yes, I was).  I didn't understand why going to bed had to be so hard, but God just used it to show me how much these girls needed to be prayed for.

Morning finally came.  And I knew the only way I could make it through the day was by God's strength.  I was tired - and facing leading morning cabin devotions and teaching my first English class ever.  Well, I made it through that day.  And through that night (which was much better than the first).  And through the next day.  By the third day, I knew I was really going to miss the crazy kids I taught and shared a cabin with.  Throughout that week, God was at work.  He showed me His all-sufficient grace.  And there's something awesome in knowing that I can't accomplish anything because I am too weak, but knowing that God will come through with His strengthIt's awesome to know that He is at work, and using me to accomplish things I never could on my own.


One of the Intermediate English Classes
Getting ready to play "Cat in the Hat"
All the girls at camp (a lot more guys attended than girls... and they were much wilder than the girls)


God's strength in my weakness was made very real to me that week as I was forced out of my comfort zone.  I don't know what God has in store for this year, but I'm looking forward to the things He is going to do.  As you read this, have you been burdened for the kids in the DR?  Would you pray with us that God would raise up and provide for more young men and women who are passionate about Him to serve with us this summer? 
 
To read more about our trip last summer, go to www.ccbcmissionteam.blogspot.com, or  http://rdzimianski.blogspot.com/2010/08/great-things.html

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Lisa. It was great seeing you the other day. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! I enjoyed seeing you too!

    JFTR, when you asked me how I was doing, I realized that I had responded "good" which is never a sufficient answer for Lauren;) I became a little tongue-tied when I didn't have a pre-thought-out answer. However, I did get to see you, and that's what matters most :)

    ReplyDelete