Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Journey to Taiwan: My Perspective, Part 1



Day 1
Early on Thursday morning, February 5, I was dropped off at the Atlanta airport by my dad.  A few hours later I boarded the plane for my first flight, which stopped in Chicago.  After arriving in Chicago I quickly made my way to the gate for my next flight.  The next flight went from Chicago to Tokyo, and was the longest section of my trip.  At first it looked like I was going to have a whole row to myself, but someone who had gone to the wrong gate showed up at the last minute and took the aisle seat.  She was Asian (I could not tell you from what country, as I am no expert) and spoke limited English, so we did not really talk much.  

The cabin lights were dimmed soon into the flight, and people entered "rest" mode (even if they didn't sleep - I felt like a got a sufficient amount of sleep on this flight, thanks to the neck pillow and eye mask I borrowed from my mom, as well as the empty middle seat which allowed some extra stretch room). The the airplane food was okay, albeit not spectacular.  I was not very hungry as I had packed and eaten my own lunch, and traveling tends to quench my appetite. 

Twelve and a half hours (and a day plus later) after leaving Chicago, the plane made it Tokyo, where I disembarked, went through security, and made my way to the next flight.  This plane was operated by a Japanese airline, in cooperation with United airlines.  All the flight attendants were Japanese, and wore outfits that were quite different from American flight attendants (more flowers and bows).  After checking in for our flight we were bused to the airplane, and entered it the old fashion way - on the tarmac with stairs.  On that flight the meal we were served was Japanese.

We made it to Taipei a little early, where I made my way through customs and on to baggage claim.  After getting my bags I went out to find Kristina.  We quickly met up, and then exchanged my money for Taiwan dollars, and then got a taxi to take us to the hotel my booked mom for us as a Christmas present. 


No comments:

Post a Comment