Monday, March 30, 2009

Living in the Everyday

Everyday. Everyday things seem so mundane. They seem so normal. They often feel like drudgery. But God has been showing me that is where He has called me to live. He has not called me to live in the great things, or in the wonderful experiences. God has just given me a time on the "mountaintop" at Advanced Excel to see Him, like He gave Peter, John, and James on the Mount of Transfiguration. But I am not called to live in the wonderful experience I had. Oswald Chambers said in My Utmost for His Highest,
After every time of exaltation, we are brought down with a sudden rush into things as they really are, where it is neither beautiful, poetic, nor thrilling. The height of the mountaintop is measured by the dismal drudgery of the valley, but it is in the valley that we have to live for the glory of God. We see His glory on the mountain, but we never live for His glory there. It is in the place of humiliation that we find our true worth to God -- that is where our faithfulness is revealed. Most of us can do things if we are at some heroic level of intensity, simply because of the natural selfishness of our own hearts. But God wants us to be at the drab everyday level, where we live in the valley according to our personal relationship with Him.
I have found this to be very true, and I have been challenged by these words of Oswald Chambers to make the most of the everyday things God has called me to. If the things I have learned and experienced on my mountaintops are not made a part of my everyday life they have not done me any good. Living in the everyday is a lot harder than being on the mountaintop, but it is the place where I am called to live. The person I truly am is revealed in the way I live my everyday.

Lisa

1 comment:

  1. wow, that is sooo true! Thanks for sharing and challenging me with that! I've actually been kind of struggling with it and simply being transparent around those in my everyday life, so I needed that extra reminder that "the person I truly an is revealed in the way I live my everyday!"

    By the way, I am really excited to have finally found your blogspot! yay!! I am looking forward to reading your next posts! :)
    Love,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete