It is easy to trust when I know how things are going to work out and I understand what is going on. But what about when I don't understand? What about when things look impossible or senseless? Do I have faith not only when I understand, but when I do not understand? The past couple of weeks I have really been challenged by the stories of those in Hebrews 11 who had faith when they did not understand.
Noah was warned by God of a coming flood and the destruction of the earth by water. Noah had never even seen rain. But he believed God and took Him at His word, even though it did not make sense to him.
God asked Abraham to offer Him his son Isaac. This was the son that God had promised to Abraham. This was the son that God had said, "In Isaac shall thy seed be called" (Hebrews 11:18). All Abraham's hope for the future was in Isaac, yet by faith, Abraham offered him to God because he believed that God was able to raise him from the dead.
When the Israelites came to Jericho, they were told to march around the walls seven days, and that on the seventh day the walls would fall. Who has ever heard of walls falling down because an army marched around them? It did not make sense, but Joshua and the people trusted God and did it anyway.
In each of these situations, it did not humanly make sense to do what God said. Noah, Abraham, and Joshua did not let this stop them. They did not understand, but they obeyed God. As a result, God saved Noah and his family, provided a lamb in Isaac's stead, and made the walls of Jericho fall.
I want that kind of faith. I want faith that sees past reasoning and trusts God to work things out. I want faith that says, "I don't understand, but I am going to trust God and do it anyway."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Very good post Lisa. I too want that kind of faith. Right now, with assignments I have the opportunity to trust. To trust that God will do the impossible in the short amount of time I have. See you very soon!
ReplyDeleteLove you,
Julie
Thanks for that reminder--I need that right now, especially during this time of transition in my life!
ReplyDelete